The museum, founded in 1929, is located in the building of the town hall built in 1775. The Town Hall was opened as a museum in 1950. The new permanent exhibition introduces Haapsalu in the beginning of the 20th century through the eyes of a visitor to the resort. The exposition provides an overview of life in Haapsalu, its urban environment and its most important sites.
From June 21-st 2019
Have a peek into the interiors of two homes of Haapsalu as they were a century ago! To create a homely atmosphere in the exhibition some references to the hobbies and lifestyle of the homeowners were added.
Make yourself at home!
The display in the first room is inspired by Villa Friedheim located at Suur Promenaad, at the address Supeluse 2. The house was built in 1885 as a home for the family von Gernet. The display in the next room has been inspired of the homes of two sisters – Emilie Marie Leontine Reimann (1871 – 1938) and Olga Adelheid Reimann
(1874 – 1953). The house at Uus-Sadama Street 8 was built in the 19th century by their grandfather, a Swedish fisherman Jacob Johanson.
Curators: Karin Mägi, Asta Veenpere
Exhibition design: Anneliis Aunapuu
With the support of: Eesti Kultuurkapital